29 April 2012

Evaluation

The aim of this project was to better understand colour and lighting of a scene to convey mood through practical lighting experiments. I experimented with a variety of media to produce maquettes and models to use as lighting reference. I also looked into the technical and theoretical aspects of the subject of colour and lighting to better inform myself when it came to constructing the maquettes themselves.
I created a variety of maquettes from different materials and through process of elimination I arrived at lighting an outdoor scene, looking at examples of the way in which some of my favourite landscape painters have used light and time of day to convey mood. I decided to make a scale model of my chosen composition to photograph in natural outdoor lighting. Through my practical experimentation I arrived at the stage of making up colour roughs of the three variations of a scene to see how they read differently. Although I would have liked to have painted them up completely, I feel that I have learnt much of what I could have learnt by getting to this stage in the process. If I were to continue further I would place figures in the scene to see how interactions and narratives can be read differently in different light and colour schemes.
Further experiments I would have liked to do during the process would be to employ the knowledge of creating a gamut mask that I learned from James Gurney's tutorials and publications, to see more specifically how colour  affects a composition. I would also like to have made more detailed models of my faun figures and light them for more detailed imagery.
Overall, I feel like I have learnt a great deal from this investigation into light and colour, and it is definitely and area I would look into further in improving the quality of my work. I would also be likely to employ the use of maquettes for lighting reference for future pieces as I felt this was a very informative exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment