10 April 2012

Black and White Roughs



 To better understand my physical experiments with lighting a scene I have done black and white rough studies of how some of the most effective lighting schemes effect the way you read the composition. In the compositions on the right, large shadows are being cast, creating dramatic effects. Lighting schemes with large shadows being cast over the scene have a sense of drama and create an ambiguous and mysterious mood in the piece. The compositions on the right have smaller amounts of shadow and create areas of interest in where shadow does and does not fall, here the areas of shadow could be used to narrative effect in placing certain characters and interactions in these shadows to imply something of what is taking place. I feel that this exercise has been helpful in creating options for how I want to light a scene and is definitely something I would try again in future compositions to aid in the single image storytelling that I prefer.
Next I want to use some of these lighting schemes together with the various colour palettes of the times of day I outlined in a previous post to see how this effects the mood of the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment