06 December 2011

Experimenting with larger models.





In my previous post I showed how I had covered my model in masking tape to give the model a cleaner finish that I would consider painting over if required. I found that the following day, due to the low tack of masking tape and the rounded surfaces of the figure, that the tape was peeling in certain places. This caused me to reconsider how I wanted to surface my models, my second idea being with PVA soaked kitchen towel, which I can then paint over. Another cause for rethinking my the way I wanted to make my models was finding polystyrene balls at the craft shop when buying supplies to experiment with making clothing for my models. I felt that they would be a good underpinning for the basic spherical structures contained within the figure. The sizes available caused me to rethink the scale of the figures I wanted to make. I decided that due to the size of the polystyrene balls I would make my figures substantially bigger, the advantage to this being that the eventual figure will be easier to detail and clothe due to its size. Once I have finished this model I will look for any issues that arise that may be cause for further experimentation, particularly with the method I am using to surface the model. If the kitchen towel proves to provide too rough a surface, then I shall experiment with newspaper soaked in wallpaper paste to see which provides better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment